Our Former Boat, Phoenix
Phoenix is an Ohlson 41, built in 1967 by Einar Ohlson in Goteberg, Sweden. The rolled steel hull was made in the Hitter yard in Amsterdam. She is a late CCA racing boat 40’9″ on deck, a cutter-rigged sloop – quite similar in design to the better-known Rhodes Reliant (but with a more modern cutaway forefront under water). She draws 6′ 6″, has a beam of 11’3″, and displaces approximately 13 tons. She has had many names, been sailed from Northern Europe to South America by Seven Seas Sailing Association Commodores, has been through the Panama canal, and then lived in California for many years. She has raced twice in the Bermuda cup, in 1968 and again in 1971. Her racing number was 1776. Phoenix is a US Coast Guard registered boat. She had 4 sister ships, made of wood and fiberglass and another one of steel. The first hull, a steel boat, had spent time on the Great Lakes but may no longer be sailing as we have lost track of her. One (fiberglass) was in Campbell River, BC and has been sold in California; another races frequently in New England (Ariana: yawl-rigged); and Alegria (wood) is now in Hyannis Port after being converted to a gorgeous day sailer. Phoenix was hull number 2.